1. The Stone Roses - Finsbury Park - 08/06/13
Perfect setting, perfect weather, perfect sound, perfect set. The band were astounding, but even more incredible was the fact that Ian was actually in tune.
2. Teeth of the Sea - The Lexington - 07/10/13
Ridiculously good electro-metal-psychedelia from London's best current band
3. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Brixton Academy - 12/11/13
The perfect venue for Godspeed's unique doom-laden post-rock. Slow building drones
4. The National - The Roundhouse - 27/06/13
Fell completely in love with their latest album, but still didn't expect this show to be quite this good
5. David Byrne & St Vincent - End of the Road festival - 30/08/13
I saw David Byrne sing This Must Be The Place. That is all.
6. Portico Quartet - Cape Town Jazz Festival - 06/04/13
Front row seats for a perfect set of electronic soundscapes and jazz-style tinkering
7. Neil Halstead and Rachel Goswell - Cecil Sharp House - 24/10/13
Slowdive reunion! Almost! Close enough!
8. De La Soul - The Forum - 08/05/13
Hands were thrown in the air exactly as if I just didn't care. I did want to party, I did say Oh Yeah
9. Michael Rother - Netil House - 03/12/13
An absolute musical hero who looked delighted to be there. 40 year old songs hadn't dated a day
10. Rodriguez - Cape Town Grand West Arena - 09/02/13
Rodriguez's first gig in South Africa for 10 years, after the release of his Oscar-winning film. The people's devotion and love for him was incredible.
11. The Waterboys - Open East Festival - 27/08/13
The most amazing thing about these for me was just how good they sounded - despite it being a medium-sized festival tent, they ripped out a sound that could have filled a stadium. An unexpected rendition of "This is the Sea" made it perfect.
12. Sigur Ros - End of the Road festival - 29/08/13
If not for the fact that this was my 4th time seeing Sigur Ros, this would be an easy #1 for the year. Incredible marriage of visuals, lights and intensely beautiful music
13. Public Image Limited - Finsbury Park - 08/06/13
A slightly bonkers choice for a Stone Roses support, but one that seemed tailor-made for me. Certainly nobody around me enjoyed them like I did, but I really, really did.
14. Goat - Electric Ballroom - 27/06/13
German 1970s psych-rock from a troupe of batshit Swedes. Excellent.
15. Melt Yourself Down - Elektrowerkz - 18/06/13
A ferociously crazy jazz-rock party in an industrial sweat pit. On a Tuesday night in Islington.
16. Efterklang - Heaven - 29/10/13
Happy Danes rock us with a gentle intensity
17. Stompy's Playground - Union Chapel - 26/10/13
Tracks by Squarepusher, Flying Lotus and Bonobo reworked by an 11-piece orchestra. Just as brilliant as it sounds.
18. Fuzzy Lights - St Pancras Old Church - 06/09/13
Gentle crooning to pounding post-rock set in a small chapel
19. Metallica - Cape Town Belleville Velodrome - 24/04/13
They were Metallica.
20. Japandroids - Dingwalls - 17/11/13
I am definitely too old to have enjoyed this as much as I did
21. Daniel Norgren - End of the Road Festival - 30/08/13
Relaxed Americana via Sweden. The performance was pure magic.
22. !!! - Visions Festival - 10/08/13
I swear the singer gets more camp and outrageous every time I see this band. Probably the best "party" band around right now.
23. Jupiter and Okwess International - Open East Festival - 28/08/13
Congolese party-starters took me by complete surprise with their brilliance
24. Public Service Broadcasting - Standon Calling Festival - 03/08/13
Mid-20th century Public information films turned into an amazing party
25. Run the Jewels - Electric Brixton - 26/11/13
How live hip hop should be done. Funny, energetic and loud.